Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pioneers of kindness

Do you ever wake with a phrase in your mind unable to recall where it came from or what it's related to in your thoughts? Pioneers of kindness...maybe it's the story of many people we know.

My father grew up in a small southern Italian town called Pomarico. As a child, stories of how he lived, worked and played were magical to me. I can remember being in our backyard in the summer time, which was always teeming with homegrown vegetables, fig and peach trees, even a few grape vines-- and being regaled with tales of experiences like finding shelter under a donkey in a rain storm. My father's father passed when he was just seven years old, so he began working on farms in Italy at a young age. He often talked about coming to America aboard a ship as a teenager, clearly full of pride for his heritage, but ready to experience the promise of American life. An appreciation for being outdoors, the satisfaction of do-it-yourself, and the motivation to work toward goals are all things I've learned from him. There have been many times when we didn't see eye-to-eye, but I hope my father has some idea of the magnitude of my admiration and gratitude for the person he is and the life he has created and shared. I'm hoping to visit Pomarico this year and I await the awakening of the gardening gene in me. Tomato sauce 'from a jar' in my family was the result of my father cultivating, planting and picking and my mother laboring over Mason jars. My father is retired now and spends his days planting golf balls and zooming around in this hot rod. : ) And he'll always be a gardener...Tonight in our Hudson Valley Artist Spotlight, we heard a song from Fred Gillen Jr.'s new album, Match Against A New Moon. Come And See Me is part of this recording, for which the phrase, "flows like an insightful river around rocks of mystery," came to mind. Fred avidly supports, records and produces many local artists at his Croton studio, Woody's House and is a member of the harmonious community of Tribes Hill artists. It was my honor and pleasure to recently become a member and experience the spirit of collaboration and love of gathering together in song.

You can be part of the circle of song with Fred and his band Hope Machine this weekend @ Clearwater's Great Hudson River Revival, at Croton Point Park, where pioneering Hudson River visionary and American music treasure, Pete Seeger, will also be onstage. Fred mentioned that it's a solar powered event (neato!) and you can sing along with Hope Machine on Sunday @ 4pm. Catch Fred performing songs from his new album at The Peekskill Coffee House this Friday, June 25th @ 8pm or swing by The Bean Runner Cafe in Peekskill on Saturday, July 3rd @ 7:30pm for his CD release party. Learn more about his music, writing and projects at his web home. As we approach the solstice on Monday, something tells me this summer is going to sail by...hope you enjoy every minute of it!













There was a time when my father sported a beard and was frequently told he looked like Pavarotti. He would jokingly sing "O Sole Mio..." but I'm partial to this Italian gem...

Happy Father's Day!

Con un bacio sul vento,

Catherine Kitty 2

No comments:

Post a Comment