Saturday, September 4, 2010

"...wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings..."

Helen in Mahopac sent the Facebook note that asks you for fifteen songs you've heard that will always stick with you. : ) Helen had a great list and it's always a challenge for me to narrow things down when it comes to music. One of the songs I left off my list is, My Favorite Things. It's a sentimental kind of song for me because we played it when I was in my high school marching band. I guess this time of year always takes me back there in my mind, and I can't believe I forgot to add the song to my list. You may agree that the list of songs that stick with you really depends on the day and your mood. : ) If you had to add to the Maria von Trapp tune, what would you include? "... music & backyards & hand-knitted things..."(hat made with wool from Flying Fingers Yarn Shop in Tarrytown)

This week in our Hudson Valley Artist Spotlight, we met Curtis Schmidt, and his gathering of players known as Curtis and The Dilettantes. We listened to the song, Farewell Old Friend, from the album Tales of a Traveler.
Curtis also mentioned that he plays bass in a band called Big Pedro and you can hear their sounds @ Wicked Willy's in NYC on Wednesday, 9/22 @ 9pm. Sail over to his site for upcoming local shows and to learn more about Curtis and his recording. Be sure to browse through the gallery of photos at the site--where you can witness the beautiful collaboration of local musicians, who are an inspiration in how they support one another in music.

One of the songs on my list of fifteen is this amazing Stevie Wonder creation where he sings:

"As today I know I'm living but tomorrow
could make me the past but that I mustn't fear
For I'll know deep in my mind
The love of me I've left behind
Cause I'll be loving you always."


Always,

CatherineKitty 2

1 comment:

  1. Catherine: I really liked your "15 song" list and the reason you included "My Favorite things." I guess the 15 minute time limit adds pressure and that makes it tough - I neglected to include quite a few of my favorites including "For My Lady" by The Moody Blues. That's one that will be with me forever.

    Keep up the good work.
    Chuck












    .

    ReplyDelete